Monday, July 8, 2013

MY APOLOGIES MR KEFFORD


There is always a time when in circumstances like the one we all find ourselves in at CIT, we need to own up and apologise for getting the wrong end of the pineapple and that is what I am doing today.

Please remember that a blog can be a bit of a rave at times and emotions can spill over and you end up spitting the dummy at the wrong guy. In the interests of my own honestly and transparency I will not remove the inaccurate posts – or this one will not make any sense.

Mr Kefford and I met today and after some discussion, I apologised to him for the impression I gave on my last couple of blogs that I was accusing his office of not doing a transparent job with the ongoing CIT investigation. Particularly so in my comments around the process being currently undertaken by the acting CIT CEO.

For his part, Mr Kefford agreed that the process has been overly long and that it would have helped the complainants to have had some earlier feedback so they did not feel they were left hanging. Many of them reacted as I have to the staff circular by the acting CEO and for their sake as well, I need to make it clear that I believe Mr Kefford’s office continues to act fairly in respect to both sides of the complaints procedure and I also believe that we will begin to see some outcomes soon. Indeed, feedback letters to the complainants have been in draft for some time and will be received in due course.

What was unfortunate and what set myself and others off, was the way the acting CEO worded the circular to all staff concerning the next steps at CIT. The acting CEO does not have sole responsibility nor control of the current process but is following protocols set by the terms of the investigation, its most recent report, and the current enterprise agreement.

There are in fact, other senior staff at CIT and some independent public servants involved in the process at CIT and the acting CEO is answerable beyond the gates of the CIT.
Mr Kefford pointed out that beyond this investigation and its final outcome will need to come a time of reconciliation. I believe he hopes that a new culture of respect will develop at CIT and those previously at loggerheads may find it necessary to meet and in some capacity agree to continue to work in the same organisation with an attitude of mutual respect.

After the apartheid regime in South Africa was over, some who had committed terrible crimes came together with those they had harmed and justice was done not in punishment or revenge, but in a true apology for harms done. The part of the harmed, was to accept the real apologies and realise that the new regime could hardly prosecute a whole half of its population. On the other hand, those who refused to be a part of the Peace and Reconciliation process were met with the full force of the law. 

I am in no way comparing by degree what happened to people in South Africa with our current situation, but it is an example everyone understands. I am also not saying that all that will come out of this process will be apologies, there are some serious matters that should see serious consequences. I do think those who need an apology with get one – maybe not from their bully if that person no longer works at CIT, but it will come from someone. I believe Mr Kefford indicated this.

As I have said before, in some situations an apology is all I require and would go a huge way to resolving my issues. I think there are others who would feel the same.
We continue to see what unfolds.



No comments:

Post a Comment